To manage our environmental impact in a sustainable, responsible way, we’ve incorporated Green business thinking into our operations, philosophy and ethos. Every day, we work to minimise our environmental impact, by means of:
- environmental planning
Prior to our hotel’s construction, heritage and environmental consultants assessed the land, enabling us to plan in such a way that we could have the lowest impact on the ecological and archaeological elements throughout the Thaba property.
- building design
Thaba’s hotel rooms were developed and designed with the environment in mind by:
- ensuring that the exterior colours of our buildings reduce visual impact and regulate temperatures,
- covering only 50% of surface area beneath each building, to ensure the protection of fauna and flora,
- incorporating sustainable local materials into our interior design, and
- using permaculture principles to improve the aesthetic impact of the development, minimise lighting, and promote water and energy savings.
- water usage and anti-pollution
Rainwater harvesting is an alternative approach to water supply, and the hotel has several systems in place to increase water efficiency and minimise pollution. Our water-wise landscaping extends to indigenous plants, alien vegetation eradication and water-wise gardens. We also use permaculture principles to reduce the use of water in our gardens, including our organic vegetable garden.
The hotel recycles 97% of all paper, cans, glass, oil and plastic, while composting has allowed us to recycle 95% of our wet waste. The Thaba recycling initiative has also created job opportunities for the local communities.
- energy saving
Various measures are in place to help us reduce the amount of electricity we use, track our water consumption and reduce our overall carbon emissions. These include new-generation LED globes, CFC-free air-conditioning units, water misters in our restaurant, gas used for most cooking and heating, double-combustion fireplaces (a permaculture technique for temperature self-regulation) and solar-powered geysers.
- environmental management
Thaba Eco Hotel employs a full-time environmental manager who is responsible for the organisation-wide implementation of our environmental management programme, which includes environmentally responsible pest prevention.
- green procurement
Our established Green Policy is used as a yardstick to measure all of our procurement, policies and procedures.
Thaba promotes environmental education and awareness by means of:
- our Eco Kids’ Club, which offers school holiday workshops and nature walks,
- fascinating guided medicinal plant tours, nature walks and hikes,
- our on-site Environmental Centre, run by our Environmental Manager,
- ongoing staff training on the importance of conserving biodiversity, and
- diverse interpretation material displayed for guests and staff.
Thaba is proudly affiliated and associated with (and is many cases, a founding member of) a wide range of non-profit organisations including:
- The Policing Forum,
- KlipSA (the Klipriviersberg Sustainability Association),
- SOJO (the South of Joburg Business & Tourism Forum),
- KUBiC (the Kliprivier Urban Biodiversity Corridor),
- The Kubic Green Business Platform, and
- The Klipriviersberg Conservancy.